When our clients retain us on an aviation matter, we do not passively represent them. We always take a proactive and aggressive approach in representing our clients. We immediately conduct a thorough evaluation of the situation and then work with our clients to determine the best course of action whether that is to focus on obtaining an early dismissal, posturing the case for a favorable settlement or preparing the case for trial and then trying the case when necessary.
Our attorneys bring significant legal experience and knowledge to our aviation practice. We have represented manufacturers, FBOs, airlines, and insurers in all phases of litigation and appeals. We have the skill, knowledge, experience and resources to aggressively protect our clients, including our in-house aviation consultant, Jeff Weiherer. He has 25 years of experience in aviation including 15 years as a commercial pilot and over 13,000 hours of flight experience. At the same time, we keep our practice small so we can be available and accessible whenever you need to communicate with us.
Our Aviation Practice
Based on our significant experience and knowledge, we offer a diverse aviation practice to allow us to service the needs of the manufacturers, airlines, FBOs, charter operators, pilots and insurers that we represent, including:
- Wrongful Death and Personal Injury Claims - We have successfully represented manufacturers, airlines, FBOs and insurers in wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits filed throughout the United States resulting from airplane accidents in the United States, as well as foreign accidents, and international air transportation, including obtaining dismissals, favorable settlements and defense verdicts.
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles & Unmanned Aircraft Systems - We advise companies on FAA rules and regulations applicable to the design, manufacture, and operation of UAV/UAS. We also assist companies in obtaining those exemptions from the FAA required to commercially operate UAV/UAS in the United States and provide ongoing support to ensure compliance. Based on our significant background within the aviation industry, we speak from experience when counseling UAV/UAS operators regarding those manuals, maintenance programs, and operating logistics needed to safely and legally operate within the United States.
- Proactive Counsel To Help Avoid Potential Liability - We work closely with manufacturers to help put measures in place to minimize the risk of liability and raise product liability awareness by implementing strategies and providing training to help reduce or avoid product liability claims.
- FAA Enforcement Actions – We consult with operators and pilots to raise awareness of FAA regulations and help implement policies and practices to avoid or minimize FAA enforcement proceedings. When necessary, we represent operators and pilots in FAA enforcement actions at the administrative level and in federal court.
- Tax Guidance For Aircraft Purchases – We provide sales and use tax guidance, documentation and guidelines to plan an aircraft purchase and ongoing operation in both a sales tax and use tax efficient manner.
- Other Legal Disputes — We counsel and represent manufacturers, airlines, FBOs and insurers on a wide range of other matters, including commercial disputes, employment issues, sexual harassment and discrimination claims, libel and defamation actions and cargo claims.