Gary is Senior Counsel at Skinner Law Group and is Managing Counsel of the newly established New York office. He is a 1982 graduate of the United States Naval Academy and a former Navy Pilot. He has more than 20 years experience as an active litigation and trial attorney with extensive experience managing, coordinating and defending complex, multi-jurisdictional mass casualty and commercial claims all over the country in the areas of aviation, product liability, maritime and construction. He specializes in the representation of aircraft and engine manufacturers, airlines, ground handlers and airports against all claims involving aviation related matters. He has extensive experience with the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Investigation process and with the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act. He has advised numerous clients, including air carriers and aircraft engine manufacturers, on how to prepare for and what to expect during NTSB investigations. Gary has always been a fierce advocate for his clients. He has never settled a case that should have been tried and he has never tried a case that should have been settled. Indeed, Gary’s reputation as a claims resolution expert is very well known in all of the aviation insurance markets around the globe. He is well known as a staunch litigator and trial attorney who has a knack for resolving very difficult, high stakes claims, very efficiently with excellent results. Gary also has the unique experience of having managed a 20-member aviation claims team in North America for a major lead insurance carrier, responsible for claims resolution and litigation defense management of claims with values in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars. Additionally, he simultaneously managed an 18-member Coverage Counsel team comprised of 14 attorneys, two paralegals and two administrative assistants responsible for determining coverage positions in multiple lines of business including but not limited to Aviation, Marine, Financial Services, Professional Liability, Personal Lines, Liability, Exposure, Entertainment and Property.
- Represented General Aviation engine part manufacturer in case involving crash and multiple deaths resulting in defense verdict.
- Represented airline ground handling company against wrongful death claim resulting in dismissal of case by way of summary judgment.
- Represented aircraft part manufacturer in case involving a crash of a Fokker 100 aircraft in Sao Palo, Brazil whereby we moved for summary judgment, pre-discovery resulting in complete dismissal of case on behalf of our client forcing the case back to Brazil for further litigation.
- Represented major airline and ground handler in case involving traumatic brain injury and conceded liability where case had to be tried because plaintiff never lowered his demand below $25 million. After 4 week trial, the jury returned a verdict of only $3.25 million.
- Lawyers-Pilots Bar Association
- Aviation Insurance Association
- ABA’s Aviation Litigation Section and Aviation & Space Law Committee
- Helicopter Association International
- Council on Litigation Management
- American Helicopter Society
- International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association
- Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
- Admitted to New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit